It should be noted that I am not one to make New Years Resolutions…I really just make goals for myself all the time. But I’ll try…
- My first resolution was to not curse so much. I’m off to a really bad start, but there was a basketball game on the first of the year. What can I say?
- Balance! I was not very happy last semester, and that is quite unusual for me. It’s like my doctor told me when I was miserable in my first job, “You’re clearly depressed. And you’re a really happy person. Which tells me there’s something wrong with the job, not you. Which tells me we can’t medicate this away. It’s time to quit.” (Ah I miss having that kind of relationship with a medical professional, but I digress.) This semester, I want to plan at least one social thing per week, even if it’s super short, or just dinner with my roommate, or a drink with a friend. (Also in my former life, I was in special education, hence the need to make goals specific and measurable.)
- Keep no Netflix movie longer than one week.
- Wear more color. When I was going to meet the boyf’s parents and he asked me why I was wearing a black turtleneck, grey jumper, black tights and black ballet flats…and that his mom loved color, I realized it was time to brighten up. After all, this is 2011 in DC, not circa 1999 in Manhattan.
- Maintain some semblance of a schedule. Go to bed around midnight. Wake up around 7. Run by 8:00. (In the mornings, I know, bleh, but I just can’t seem to fit night gym trips in before my gym closes, and there aren’t too many good road runs in my neighborhood that I’d consider totally safe after dark.) Do my reading on the weekends so I can just focus on getting through my crazy busy intern-class-work weeks. This will be the least likely resolution, but the most important one to my sanity.
- Find more ways to do my hair. Seriously, there have to be more than 2 hairstyles I can wear.
There we go. My attempt at resolutions. They’re out and public and hopefully this will create some sort of accountability. Right.